Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Harriman Park New York Fall Folliage Hikes

 
Taking advantage of the spectacular fall weather and remaining folliage, I hiked in three separate parts of Harriman Park over the weekend.  The picture of the reservoir is along the Long Path on the southern boundary of Harriman Park. Several shots of yellow leaves are in the Doodletown area. The pictures of the Hudson River are from the southern end of the Timp-Torne Trail. I'm nearing completion of a project to hike all of the marked trails in Harriman Park in one calendar year. This goal has gotten me into the woods more than at any time in years. It's also taken me to far-flung corners of the park that I've never seen before. I am amazed at how many great stretches of trail the park has and how few bad trail sections I've seen. Despite how densely populated Rockland County is, I'm also impressed at how quickly the trails get away from the roads and how quickly I feel I'm in a remote stretch of woods. I've done 43 hikes (mostly short) in the park so far this year and I figure it will take another 8 or 9 to finish. I'm hoping to finish by the Saturday after Thanksgiving with a hike up Bear Mountain.